Re: Any tips or documentation for writing a new Curl_handler (protocol)?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 18:01:25 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> I have done some (minimal) work with the libcurl API in the past though, and
> even there I think the more common case is "give libcurl a URL, give it a
> callback, tell it to have fun". I'm not sure that's the best way forward for
> an NBD client-side library, since we expect to do a lot more back-and-forth
> than that.

Yes. If the protocol (or the use of the protocol for all curl cares) is not
"give libcurl a URL, give it a callback, tell it to have fun" then we're
approaching the deep end of the pool.

curl is about data transfers specified as a URL. The further away from that we
go, the less suited is the protocol for curl.

Setting things up and asking for specific things associated with a transfer is
just fine I think. Like auth, HTTP method, FTP active transfer, IMAP/pop3/smtp
login options etc.