Re: Windows users! Help us test upload performance tuning?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2018 11:08:02 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 4 Aug 2018, Jan Ehrhardt wrote:

> curl was consistently a little bit faster than bash/lftp, but that may be
> related to the sftp encryption (curl ran plain ftp, port 21). curl vanilla
> and curl patched did not seem to differ. Sometimes patched was faster than
> vanilla, sometimes the other way around.
>
> @Daniel Jelinski: could you compile a version with sftp support?

curl's SFTP performance is however known to not be optimal - so I consider
that to be a poor protocol choice to check for TCP/winsock performance.

I think keeping it as plain TCP as possible (HTTP or FTP basically) helps
keeping the comparisons as relevant as possible. But I used HTTPS from my
windows box and that also showed a huge difference with the patched version.