Re: Pipelining is a pain, can we ditch it now?

From: Kamil Dudka via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2018 09:51:06 +0200

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 9:08:17 AM CEST Radu Hociung via curl-library
wrote:
> On 06/08/2018 4:53 PM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> > Right, quite ironic I think that it wasn't a pipelining bug that
>
> finally triggered me to put pipelining up for deprecation...
>
> You keep saying there are lots of bugs and missing test cases.

The upstream test-suite includes some (8 according to my quick grep) tests for
HTTP pipelining but most of them have never worked reliably enough. 4 tests
are already marked as flaky by upstream. I had to disable another one a week
ago because it was causing random build failures on the Fedora build service:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/curl.git/commit/?id=3fb6e235

I tried to debug the test failures several times but have never been able to
figure out whether the bug was in libcurl or whether the failing test-cases
were just verifying something that was not guaranteed to hold.

On top of that, I have been maintaining curl in Fedora and RHEL since 2009
and never seen a single bug report on the HTTP pipelining, which suggests
that not many people actually use curl's pipelining on these distributions.

Kamil