Re: CURLOPT_ACCEPT_ENCODING and unknown / unsolicited encodings

From: Rainer Canavan via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 18:24:20 +0200

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 5:07 PM Patrick Monnerat via curl-library
<curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se> wrote:

Thanks for your prompt response.

[...]
> https://github.com/curl/curl/commit/dbcced8e32b50c068ac297106f0502ee200a1ebd#diff-ff9fb98500e598660ec2dcd2d8193aac
> > if I'm not mistaken.
> This would have helped us much to have the curl version rather than the
> Ubuntu's. After grepping Ubuntu's repository, it appears that curl's
> version is 7.58.0.

7.58.0 is indeed correct.

> > In curl versions up to at least 7.56.0, setting
> > CURLOPT_ACCEPT_ENCODING to values other than NULL resulted in curl
> > decoding "gzip" and "deflate" and quietly passing any other Encoding,
> > such as "None", which is mistakenly used by one of our customers.
> "None" is recognized from 7.59.0, containing the commit
> https://github.com/curl/curl/commit/f886cbfe9c3055999d8174b2eedc826d0d9a54f1
> that implements it. Maybe Ubuntu should upgrade ;-)

That would indeed solve the immediate problem. I've opened a bug
report for Ubuntu at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/curl/+bug/1788435
although we do have another workaround running already.

thanks,

Rainer