Re: Parallelizing tests

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2018 14:17:48 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 1 Oct 2018, Daniel Gustafsson via curl-library wrote:

> I was poking a little at parallelizing the test suite in order to try and
> shave some time off the total runtime. But before sinking time into that I
> wanted to ask if there are/have been any other attempts at this? Has anyone
> hacked on this and if so, are there any learnings that can be shared?

Just some random thoughts of mine on the subject.

We talked about it during curl up 2017 and I think Dan Fandrich did some
attempts on it that never landed.

The test suite fires up a set of independent test servers on different ports.
Some of these servers are controlled by a file with fixed name
($LOGDIR/ftpserver.cmd) and they're sharing a lot of fixed output file names.

If the parallelizing is to be done without containers, one approach would be
to make sure that different protocol tests are run at the same time and that
the servers don't share anything at all.

It could then get further parallelized by runnning more servers on multiple
ports so that HTTP for example, which I guess has the largest number of tests,
could run N tests in parallel.

If we instead go with an infrastructure that uses containers somehow, I
suppose it will be simpler to parallelize protocols as each container could
run its own test server and yet stick to the same port.