Re: me, my new job and curl support! - CONGRATS & homonyms

From: Richard Gray via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 17:29:29 -0500

Daniel Stenberg via curl-library wrote:
> Hi team,
>
> Please bare with me as this topic is bordering to off-topic and egocentric.

Umm, CONGRATS!!, but I'll keep my cloths on if you don't mind! ;-) (What
_does_ go on at those FOSDEM and other meet ups?? :-O ) Actually I'm taking
this opportunity to backhandedly say how impressed I am with the English
fluency demonstrated by many here who seem likely to have English as a second
language. As a native English speaker, I find it's as good as many of us
manage. In the particular case above, the correct expression is "Please bear
with me". "Bear" meaning "carry", not a fuzzy animal. [3] (Yes, I had to look
it up to be sure and many native speakers make this mistake too.) Aren't
homonyms (different words that sound the same) fun?

At risk of hijacking the thread, some years back I started on an addition to
the list etiquette page [4] but lost it. Main points to add were

-
- list participants are all volunteers, don't appear to be demanding
- list participants are from all over the globe living and working in
different time zones with list participation as a secondary activity, so don't
expect immediate responses.
- English is the official language of these lists, so bear with the best
efforts of those for whom English is a second language. [Don't poke fun at
them unless it is Daniel! :P ]

- Make a good Subject line to catch the attention of the people who are most
likely to be able to respond

- When asking for help, include "enough" information to allow others to
understand/triage your problem. Leaving out one or more of the following
items often leads to delay due to an avoidable rounds of questions:
~ Computer's operating system and version
~ curl version
~ what you are trying to do
~ expected results
~ actual results
~ ??

This probably needs to be a new thread so ideas can be kicked around, if it is
deemed worth time.
> Starting now I work [1] for wolfSSL [2] and at wolfSSL we offer commercial
> support and contracting on and around curl, libcurl and related stuff (as well
> as for the other products in wolfSSL's existing portfolio of course).
>
> This is a new step in my life and career and as I'm the lead developer of
> curl, it will have an affect on the curl project itself as well.
>
> The curl project is and will remain free and independent of commercial
> interests. It will remain the same simple project as it always was and it will
> remain licensed exactly like before.
>
> I hope and expect that an increased focus on curl will allow me and others to
> work *more* on curl, leading to more features and more bug fixes.
>
> Shameless plug: if *YOU*, or anyone you know, want commercial support for
> curl, at whatever level, let's talk!
>
> [1] = https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2019/02/02/im-on-team-wolfssl/
> [2] = https://www.wolfssl.com/

Again Danial, congratulations. I presume this represents a good opportunity
for you, a job you will really enjoy!

Cheers!
Rich

[3] https://writingexplained.org/bear-with-me-or-bare-with-me-difference