Re: Issue with libcurl4 and openssl

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 09:44:40 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019, Swamy J-S via curl-library wrote:

> So am trying
>
> * "sudo apt-get install libssl1.0-dev"
> * "sudo apt-get install libcurl3" and
> * "sudo apt-get install libcurl-openssl1.0-dev"
>
> which removes libcurl4, curl and cmake.

Unfortunately, this question has very little to do with curl. It is entirely a
question about Ubuntu, their package system and how to use that.

In the curl project we only ship source code. There are awesome package
maintainers that then build curl and put together the packages for the various
Linux distributions, including the Ubuntu ones. They make the decisions on how
the packaging should be done, on what TLS libraries to build with and so on.

In your case it sounds as if those packages you want to install cannot
co-exist with the newer ones already installed, so it will uninstall them -
and in that process also uninstall the tools that are built to depend on those
libraries.