Re: An idea for running tests in parallel

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 23:46:56 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019, Kamil Dudka wrote:

>> Let me propose a third way: The LD_PRELOAD way.
>
> This kind of instrumentation is fragile and suffers from portability issues.

Yeah, so the TCP approach still needs to be there and work for when this
system can't be used. I was thinking of this using approach in the
cases/systems where we know it works, like perhaps to start with only on
Linux.

> Note that, when you run LD_PRELOAD=./libsocket_wrapper.so ../src/curl as in
> your example, you might be instrumenting the shell interpreter, too, in case
> libtool wrapped ../src/curl as a shell script.

Oh hm yes, a very good point. That's actually a rather tricky obstacle. Of
course when curl is built with "configure --disable" that's not the case, but
then that's an even smaller share of the build population...

I need to give it some more thoughts. Thanks for the useful feedback Kamil!