How to build for Android

From: Andreas Falkenhahn via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 18:13:55 +0100

I want to build curl to use it in an Android NDK project but I fail to see any instructions on how to do so. The curl distribution comes with a Android.mk makefile which states this:

    # This file can be used when building curl using the full Android source
    # release or the NDK. Most users do not want or need to do this; please
    # instead read the Android section in docs/INSTALL for alternate
    # methods.

However, in docs/INSTALL there doesn't seem to be any Android section at all?! Nor is there any word on how to build for Android. So where can I learn about those "alternate methods"?

I guess the trickiest part is going to be about choosing the correct target SSL library. AFAIR Android switched from OpenSSL to BoringSSL some time ago so what's the usual way of dealing with this problem? Should Android builds link OpenSSL statically instead of relying on any system components?

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                          mailto:andreas_at_falkenhahn.com