Re: Fetching emails via imap without setting the "\Seen" flag (i.e. using BODY.PEEK)

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 16:03:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 31 Mar 2019, Luca Di Rocco wrote:

> Hello Daniel, after my initial quick modification, I have spent some time
> analyzing curl IMAP implementation and I'm confident that the attached patch
> is a good implementation of the fetch of a message body via custom request,
> which has the advantage (over the fetch via URL) to allow the usage of
> body.peek in order not to change the \Seen flag of the fetched message.

> Please, let me know if the patch is ok with you and if I have to do anything
> else (e.g. write new tests ?) to have the feature added to curl.

I'm willing to take this further and work on getting this functionality, or
something like this, merged into curl.

I will also insist on getting comments from more people on this approach and
API, since while I wrote the initial IMAP code in curl back in the days I'm
not an actual user of it.

To make a merge more likely to happen I would like to see:

  1. The patch submitted as a pull-request on github and have it go through
     all CI builds green.

  2. A set of tests added for successful and unsuccessful cases. I *think* the
     existing test setup should be sufficient without too much trouble.

  3. Documentation for users and developers on how this works and how users can
     take advantage of this feature.