Re: Ranged PUTs, Content-Range, and Content-Length

From: m brandenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 09:23:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019, Daniel Stenberg via curl-library wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Apr 2019, Ray Satiro via curl-library wrote:
>
>> CURLOPT_RANGE specifically as far as I know is only supposed to be used
>> for download, not upload (can anyone confirm?),
>
> This is correct. There's actually no standard way to do ranged "uploads" for
> HTTP, just various more or less working hacks.
>
> PATCH (RFC 5789) was the fix for that.

Well, 2616 specifically defines some "MUST NOT" behavior
around this case (PUT + "Content-*" headers):

https://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec9.html

So being able to send that combination correctly may be a reasonable
expectation.

Monty Brandenberg, Software Engineer                               MCB, Inc.
mcbinc_at_panix.com                                             P.O. Box 425292
mcbinc_at_pobox.com                                   Cambridge, MA  02142-0006
617.864.6907