Re: curl on docker hub

From: Rainer Canavan via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 11:09:56 +0200

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 8:09 AM James Fuller via curl-library
<curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se> wrote:

> update on curl docker - testing things on my fork here
> https://github.com/xquery/curl-docker
> and automation with travis
> https://travis-ci.org/xquery/curl-docker
>
> which will also be responsible for pushing docker images to hub.docker.com
>
> seeking advice/thoughts on a few open questions:
[...]
> * what features to build as default is the biggest burning question
>
> orig poster (Olliver Schinagl) had suggested
>
> ./configure \
> --disable-ldap \
> --enable-ipv6 \
> --enable-unix-sockets \
> --prefix=/usr \
> --with-libssh2 \
> --with-nghttp2 \
> --with-pic \
> --with-ssl \
> --without-libidn \
> --without-libidn2 \
>
> which seems specific to his needs.
>
> put another way - what features do we want enabled by default docker
> image ... we could contemplate additional images that have 'all
> features' enabled.

You could consult the most recent curl survey (at
https://daniel.haxx.se/media/curl-user-survey-2018-analysis.pdf) and
set a simple threshold at e.g. 90% of users and pick the features that
would be sufficient for such a fraction of users. You may need the raw
data, since the graph in the survey result document doesn't specify
whether a significant fraction of users use http/https plus another
protocol such as ftp, sftp etc.

Another interesting question would be which SSL backend you're going
to use and how you keep the CA store up to date.

rainer