Re: Change Curl_is_absolute_url to allow URI without authority

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2019 23:31:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 4 May 2019, Aron Bergman wrote:

>> But why? Can you show us what benefit this brings to anyone?
>
> As stated in the first mail, this will make it possible to use protocols
> which doesnąt use the authority component. I donąt think that any of the
> protocols that cURL currently implements will have any use of this change. I
> see it as more of a preemptive change for future protocol implementations.
> More specifically Iąm thinking of the DNS protocol.

I'm not a believer in such "preemptive" changes. If the change is good for
something that might happen in the future, then I think we should wait with
doing it until that possible future event occurs.

If you want to implement support in libcurl for a protocol that has a URL
scheme for which you need to change the code, then I'm willing to discuss it.
And then I think such a discussion should first be about whether we think that
particular protocol is a good fit for curl or not!

> I decided to try to implement the DNS protocol into cURL

I'm not convinced DNS is a good fit for curl.

If it is, I think we need a slightly larger code than than your proposed
change to properly handle that URL syntax (reading RFC 4501).