Re: A quick follow-up release next week

From: Ray Satiro via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2019 03:31:40 -0400

On 5/24/2019 4:00 PM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Fri, 24 May 2019, Ray Satiro via curl-library wrote:
>
>> See upstream/jay/test [1] for a combined reversion. I also tested
>> reapply with cherry-pick if you want to do it all in master instead
>> (in other words revert then release then cherry pick).
>
> Right, doing it all in master is also an option. I take it you favor
> that approach? I'll admit it is attractive.

I prefer either of A) branch off and revert; or D) revert in master. My
suggestion is if you are going to revert then roll them up into 1 like I
did rather than have 5 reverts. I think it's clearer that way if you're
reading the history to see what happened and why.

>> Which rules make you lean towards C?
>
> It felt like it might be the one with the least resistance and work.

Fair enough but I wonder if another feature release (y in x.y.z) too
close could dilute its meaning, or create some release fatigue. I don't
know what if anything drives users to urgency of either type of release.

>> Maybe add a week cooling off period after the release before opening
>> the feature window so it can be determined whether an urgent patch
>> release is necessary.
>
> Yeah. Or if not a week, we could have the opening of the feature
> window to be explict so that someone (like me) should announce it as
> open before we consider it so. Then it could be made a week if we need
> it, or just three days for the times when we consider that good enough...

To be clear I'm not suggesting wait a week before a patch release I'm
suggesting wait a week without any major reported problem in the latest
release before you open the feature window. Each time a release goes out
--including a patch release-- reset again.

For reference I read the last 5 years of release tags [1] and urgent
patches have typically been within 5-10 days with just one at 2 days.

2015-04-21 11:18:06 +0200 curl-7_42_0
2015-04-28 21:09:30 +0200 curl-7_42_1

2016-01-27 08:30:04 +0100 curl-7_47_0
2016-02-08 10:26:24 +0100 curl-7_47_1