Async thoughts

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 12:07:53 +0200 (CEST)

Hi team,

Recently I've talked to some users who, independently of each other, have
brought up or touched the idea of (easier) async transfers with libcurl.

The easy interface is fine and yeah, easy, but synchronous, and the multi
interface is powerful and non-blocking and all but not always very easy to
"just do async" with.

Is there a way and a "need" for easier async with libcurl? If so, how should
the API for this work?

Is there an existing async API somewhere that's good or useful that we can
learn from or be inspired by?

If your dream async API came true, how would it work?

The probably most basic way I can think of is firing off a separate thread
with the "start transfer" call and then have have a way to probe how the
transfer is going and finally a way to signal the completion of the transfer.

Thoughts?

--
  / daniel.haxx.se | Get the best commercial curl support there is - from me