Re: [poll comment] "SNMP request/reply support"

From: Sergei Nikulov via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 09:58:35 +0300

вт, 20 авг. 2019 г. в 18:24, Robert NEMKIN via curl-library
<curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>:

> On 2019-08-19 12:34, Daniel Stenberg via curl-library wrote:
> > Another suggestion from the poll.
> >
> > (SNMP is not currently supported by curl.)
> >
> > I'm not personally fluent in SNMP so I would need to do this together
> > with someone who is and someone who has an existing use case that could
> > drive it - so that it becomes a less theoretical and more practical
> > exercise. I found that RFC 4088 defines the URL syntax but can we really
> > view such SNMP requests and replies as "transfers" ? What kind of data
> > does such a transfer return?
> >
> > Ideas? Thoughts?
> >

> The first thing to decide with snmp support is: which side of the snmp
> protocoll you want to support?
> - client side: to gather information via snmp from devices supporting snmp?

This is the primary usage.
Curl is a cross-platform multiprotocol command-line tool and library
which could be used in other products.
I believe a lot of test engineers used this tool for querying network
services and devices.
As for SNMP, some subset of GetRequest/SetRequest could be useful for
the same reasons.
And better not to rely on net-snmp dependency if possible (it never
has a goal to be cross-platform).

> - server side: to provide curl data to snmp clients?

Not sure about server-side (from FAQ "cURL is the name of the project.
The name is a play on 'Client for URLs')

> I'm actively using snmp to monitor my internet service provider network,
> so I'm pretty sure I will never install and use curl instead of
> (net-snmp's snmp-get and snmp-walk or other integrated snmp client).

All admins are actively used SNMP in their monitoring suites.

P.S.
As a joke (don't take it seriously) I've replaced SNMP with FTP and
rephrase your statement.
"I'm pretty sure I will never install and use curl instead of (ncftp
or other integrated ftp client)"