Re: libunbound as name resolver?

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 22:48:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019, Felipe Gasper via curl-library wrote:

Hello!

> I’d like to have libcurl do recursive name resolutions, toward which end it
> would be great if libunbound were supported as a name resolution backend.

I'm not sure I even I understand what recursive means when done from a client,
but let's first focus on why. Please help me understand. What functionality
does that offer for transfers that you don't have today?

> I see that at least one patch
> (https://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2015-08/0134.html) has been proposed for
> this, but nothing seems to have come of it.

> Did this idea just fail to gain sufficient traction?

That patch's purpose was primarily to enable DNSSEC and DANE/TLSA for libcurl,
but yes, it didn't get enough interest and energy from the team or the
original developer (Björn) so it rotted pretty fast.

DNSSEC and DANE/TLSA are still often mentioned as desired features for libcurl
so I think that's still an area we could explore further if someone wants to
dig in! I don't know if Björn might even still have some interest (I CC'ed him
here).

--
  / daniel.haxx.se | Get the best commercial curl support there is - from me