Re: libunbound as name resolver?

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 00:02:42 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019, Felipe Gasper wrote:

>> That patch's purpose was primarily to enable DNSSEC and DANE/TLSA for
>> libcurl, but yes, it didn't get enough interest and energy from the team or
>> the original developer (Björn) so it rotted pretty fast.
>>
>> DNSSEC and DANE/TLSA are still often mentioned as desired features for
>> libcurl so I think that's still an area we could explore further if someone
>> wants to dig in! I don't know if Björn might even still have some interest
>> (I CC'ed him here).
>
> Is there documentation for the name resolver interface?

Not really, it's such a rare situation that someone would work on a new
resolver backend that we never documented it. The internal API is primarily
the one mentioned in lib/asyn.h:
https://github.com/curl/curl/blob/master/lib/asyn.h

> On this same note: is the name resolver configurable only at build time? So
> a libunbound-enabled libcurl would _only_ be able to use libunbound for name
> resolutions?

Correct, the primary resolver choice is done at build-time. Although we also
offer run-time choices, like for example when you ask to use DNS-over-HTTPS.
That's then of course not implemented using the same mechanism and you could
of course add additional choices in similar fashion - if there's a point in
doing so.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se | Get the best commercial curl support there is - from me