Re: Curl and SSL in an IMB's OnDemand environment

From: Rainer Canavan via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 11:50:19 +0200

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 11:22 AM Michael Rellstab via curl-library
<curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se> wrote:
[...]
> Do you mean, OnDemand itself has libcurl linked (statically?) into its
> binaries?

If it were statically linked, the symbols of that curl lib would not be visible
to your module when it is loaded.

> And my code uses this binary instead of the libcurl that is
> installed on the Linux?

Your module probably loads the curl library that you have linked it
against, but the symbols (functions) from both the libcurl bundled
with OnDemand and your libcurl are used to resolve the references
in your module. I'm not sure how the runtime linker selects a
symbol if there are multiple candidates.

You could try linking your module with a static libcurl, or link
your libcurl with symbol versioning (see e.g.
https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/manual/html_node/LD-Version-Scripts.html
https://www.bottomupcs.com/libraries_and_the_linker.xhtml) and see
to that your module requires those specific versions of the curl
functions. It may also be necessary to link your libcurl to use those specific
versions to ensure that internal function calls from your libcurl don't
end up using the OnDemand libcurl.

Rainer