Re: MinGW Cross-Compiling results in error "ld: cannot find -link"

From: René Berber via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 20:35:39 -0600

On 10/27/2019 5:25 PM, Michael Fabian Dirks via curl-library wrote:

> I'm trying to build libcurl for Windows using Ubuntu's 'mingw-w64'
> package. Since I'm building from the git repository, and the CMake
> script has a message stating that it is poorly maintained, I wanted to
> build it through configure with make. As there is no configure file in
> the git repo, I made one using:
>
>> git reset --hard
>> git clean -fdx
>> autoreconf -i
[snip]
> It configures fine, but for an unknown reason a sed command is added to
> the linker command which replaces all '-lLIBRARY' with '-link LIBRARY',
> and it seems impossible to remove. Removing the
> '--host=x86_64-w64-mingw32' makes it link, but then fails that it
[snip]

The host is fine.

Building from the tar.xz (or equivalent) does already have a useful
configure file.

No use wasting time with other procedures if they don't work correctly,
no idea where that sed command comes from, but its obviously incorrect
(could be a product of a badly configured build environment: gnu linker
was not found at configure time, config.log should show that, therefore
Microsoft linker was assumed, or found first in the PATH).

I've build curl many times in a (GNU) cross-compile environment, and it
works fine (build and library). In my case I use a customized MXE cross
environment (https://github.com/mxe/mxe) which also builds all the tools
on the environment, and sets variables, and all the details.

--
R.Berber