Re: MinGW Cross-Compiling results in error "ld: cannot find -link"

From: René Berber via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 13:47:32 -0600

On 10/29/2019 8:10 AM, Michael Fabian Dirks via curl-library wrote:
> On 29/10/2019 03:35, René Berber via curl-library wrote:

>> Building from the tar.xz (or equivalent) does already have a useful
>> configure file.
>
> I am getting the same result with a build from a source archive instead
> of using 'git clone ...'. However I did manage to get it to work by
[snip]
The problem is that configure defaulted to the MS linker, its very clear
if you take a look at config.log; furthermore its in the configure
script (with some context):

> *)
> # Assume MSVC wrapper
> hardcode_libdir_flag_spec=' '
> allow_undefined_flag=unsupported
> # Tell ltmain to make .lib files, not .a files.
> libext=lib
> # Tell ltmain to make .dll files, not .so files.
> shrext_cmds=".dll"
> # FIXME: Setting linknames here is a bad hack.
> archive_cmds='$CC -o $lib $libobjs $compiler_flags `func_echo_all "$deplibs" | $SED '\''s/ -lc$//'\''` -link -dll~linknames='
> # The linker will automatically build a .lib file if we build a DLL.

There's the sed command (after the FIXME).

Now you only need to figure out why configure didn't find the GNU
linker, which again should be clear by looking at config.log .

Wild guess: Its not properly named, mine is
i686-w64-mingw32.static-ld.exe (and all the tools have the cross target
in the name, which is something MXE takes care off).

--
R. Berber