Re: DOH: retrieving an RRset from a child node

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 15:10:35 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019, Niall O'Reilly via curl-library wrote:

> I've been thinking about how to extend dohprobe() to query for an RRset
> containing such data, which action may be useful for other use cases
> involving existing TXT, SRV, TLSA, and URI RR types, as well as future
> RRtypes, such as SVCB.

SVCB is what the current ESNI draft wants, right? (btw there's now a poll
going for what to name those new records over at:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2019OctDec/0117.html )

> - Introduce new functions dohprobepfx() and doh_encodepfx(),
> corresponding to dohprobe() and doh_encode respectively, each with an
> additional `const char *prefix` parameter.
>
> - Retain dohprobe() and doh_encode(), but as trivial
> wrappers around the "pfx" functions, each passing NULL as the argument to
> the corresponding "pfx" function, so that existing invoking code need not
> be modified, and duplication of code can be avoided.

Seems straight forward and sensible to me!

> I expect to deal with reception of the TXT response in a separate PR, so as
> to keep changes small and modular.

The TXT records for old-draft- ESNI that cloudflare will soon stop providing?

--
  / daniel.haxx.se | Get the best commercial curl support there is - from me