Local Build Environment - Can't set openssl directory?

From: connor horman via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2019 10:05:51 -0500

Hello all,
I'm working on a game project, which has multiple dependencies,
including curl and openssl. My goal is to have it working on its own,
without any system level dependencies, asside from those which do not
make sense to have at project level (such as X11, glibc, etc.). I was
able to use LD_FLAGS and CFLAGS set the appropriate directories to the
openssl build and source directories respectively, however it does not
seem to have any effect, as the version I have available is 3.0, but
curl is linking against 1.1.0 (which I can assume is my system
version, as my project libraries directory does not contain
openssl.so.1.1.0 or similar after copying all built shared objects to
this directory). I was wondering how to adjust this so that it uses
the locally built version, rather than a system-wide version.