RE: Issues implementing an async certificate validation engine

From: Valerio Di Gregorio \(vadigreg\) via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 22:33:40 +0000

Hello Daniel,
Thanks for your reply. I'm doing the cert verfication in the callback and the operation is async. The way the async verification is achieved is by using ASYNC_pause_job (which internally does a longjmp). Callback won't return, because the async job gets paused. Once async validation is done, SSL async job can resume. It's the resumed callback that will finally return with a validation result.

How to resume the async job is a mystery. Folks from OSSL forum said: "When your application knows that the callback is ready to continue it must ensure that whatever OpenSSL I/O operation was in progress prior to the pause is then invoked again". I have no clue what SSL I/O operation was in progress prior to pause, but I guess libcurl knows.

I tried to look into the stack trace:

#0 0x00007fffef70c480 in ASYNC_pause_job ()
#1 0x00007ffff01ed2cb in my_ssl_cert_verify_cb ()
#2 0x00007fffefbb7c3a in ssl_verify_cert_chain ()
#3 0x00007fffefbe47c9 in tls_process_server_certificate ()
#4 0x00007fffefbe7115 in ossl_statem_client_process_message ()
#5 0x00007fffefbe0d58 in state_machine ()
#6 0x00007fffef70c434 in async_start_func ()

But it doesn't help much.

Thanks,
Val