Re: Re[2]: libcurl version

From: Jeffrey Walton via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 11:26:21 -0500

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 10:52 AM Алексей via curl-library
<curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se> wrote:

> Thanks, but you didn’t answer on my question.
> Is that libraries files are equal or not? They have the same version in their names.
> I don’t need latest curl, I need to have ability to build plcontainer without updating curl in Centos with minimum packages and packages should be available without any buildings from source.

I may be splitting hairs but... I think it is hard to say at the
moment. I think it depends on how you define "equal" for a shared
object.

The 4.3.0 in libcurl.4.3.0.so is a versioning scheme used on Linux.
Regular people use the other scheme that you are asking about. It is
one of those disconnects created by engineers who lack ux experience
(or disregard it). Also see docs like
https://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Updating-version-info.html
.

That both cURL 7.29.0 and cURL 7.43.0 each use Glibc version 4.3.0
tells you they are binary compatible. Obviously they won't be equal
because 7.43 has bug fixes not present in 7.29.

Jeff