Re: Building CURL with OpenSSL

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 21:39:05 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020, Jason Proctor via curl-library wrote:

> I see that Curl has a configure option for pointing it at an OpenSSL
> installation, but so far I have been unable to make this work. With the
> latest versions of both packages, and OpenSSL successfully built and
> installed, the Curl configure step can't find the (perfectly good and fine)
> OpenSSL installation.
>
> Questions - is this mechanism still supported? Are there known good versions
> of Curl and OpenSSL which do this dance successfully? Is there another route
> from Curl to OpenSSL built from source?

It is very much supported. I use it myself very frequently and we have CI
builds using it.

1. build OpenSSL

   ./config enable-tls1_3 --prefix=/home/daniel/build-openssl
   make
   make install

2. build curl

   LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,$HOME/build-openssl/lib" \
   ./configure --with-ssl=$HOME/build-openssl

3. Smile

The LDFLAGS trick is of course not strictly necessary, but is convenient.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se | Commercial curl support up to 24x7 is available!