Re: libcurl's throttling option can trigger its own transfer stall detection

From: Tomalak Geret'kal via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2020 18:47:42 +0000

On 26/02/2020 22:16, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Feb 2020, Tomalak Geret'kal via curl-library
> wrote:
>
>> I'm not completely sure that I'm interpreting this
>> correctly, but it seems that setting the "throttling"
>> option for uploads falls foul of the "low speed limit".

>> Is there something unexpected here? Or is this how it
>> should work? I guess I expected the speed limit detector
>> to be inhibited while the upload is being throttled.
>
> I think it is just an unintended consequence of those two
> option combos being entirely separate and not playing very
> nice when set together like in your example code. I
> consider it a bug, but if forced to grade it I wouldn't
> consider it a very serious flaw.
>
> If you have an idea of how it *should* behave in this
> case, feel most welcome to work on a fix!

Alright, as long as I'm not imagining it!

I was picturing the low-transfer-rate "timer" pausing
whenever the throttling kicks in, then un-pausing
afterwards. But that could be confusing. Also it would
result in quite different behaviours between minor revisions
of the library.

Ultimately I don't think we need a code change here, though
I do suggest a note in the docs perhaps.

Cheers