Lib Curl Conflicts with Norton Anti Virus

From: Essam Makhlouf via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2020 00:58:06 +0200

Dear all,

I wrote a win32 application to download files from Dropbox account. The
program is Unicode and statically liked to Libcurl library. This program is
distributed with software package to users to let them have new updates of
the package whenever they are posted on the cloud. So, it is kind of
auto-update utility.
The problem is Norton Antivirus detects my program as having a virus and
deletes it. The virus name is "Heur.AdvML.B".
I compile this program in 64 and 32 bits. Norton detects the virus in the
32 bit version only. Norton does not detect any virus in the x64 bit
version.

My machine has Windows 10 x64.
My compiler is Visual Studio 2017.
I downloaded Lib Curl source and compiled it into static library for 32 and
64 bit.
I tried Lib Curl version 7.67.0, 7.68.0, and 7.69.0. All produced same
result.

I had a life chat with Norton support agent and allowed a remote control
session to help me resolve the problem. He confirmed the file is indeed
infected. But could not explain why the 64 bit is not infected.
Norton agent suggested to exclude the file from Norton scan. But I
explained this will not help. When Norton scans the file on the users
machines, it will delete it from their machines. What I need is to resolve
the conflict with Norton.

I tried to search for the string "Heur.AdvML.B" or parts of it in the
source files of Curl but could not find anything.

I wonder if anyone has faced similar issue and what is the solution.

Best regards,

*Essam Makhlouf, PE*

*Al-Rehab 122/06/34*

*Cairo - 11841, Egypt*

*Mobile +20 100 516 0999 <+41%2079%20546%2020%2042>*

*Email * *essamakhlouf_at_gmail.com <essamakhlouf_at_gmail.com>*