Security implications of CURLOPT_UPLOAD + CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION

From: Blake Burkhart via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 21:58:12 -0500

What are the security implications of enabling redirects during uploads?
The security considerations page[1] says “When uploading, a redirect can
cause a local (or remote) file to be overwritten.” and mentions
CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION, but as of Curl 7.19.4 it is no longer possible to
HTTP redirect to local files with the FILE protocol. Is the impact limited
to overwriting an unexpected remote URL (on any allowed protocol)? Or if a
URL is user specified, overwriting a local file?

I was doing some security research and found a small number of open source
projects that enable both CURLOPT_UPLOAD and CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION, and
was trying to assess the impact.

[1] https://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/security.html#Uploads

--
Blake