RE: Incoming DES headache with OpenSSL 3

From: Steve Holme via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 03:50:29 +0000

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> The current git master of OpenSSL gives us some clues of what's going to
> happen when OpenSSL version 3 ships, planned for Q3 2020 I believe. I make a
> curl build against that every once in a while to see if anything falls over.
>
> Now for the one that gives me problems:
>
> 3. The DES functions are deprecated. Meaning they're marked as such in the
> public headers and they will cause compiler warnings when used and if we
> build curl with -Werror we get build errors.

Sorry I’ve only just seen this, so apologies for being a bit late to the party, but as you know I don’t hang out in these parts much these days and I keep getting distracted with client commitments!

> So what do we do? I can think of at least 4 different ways to go with this,
> each choice with its own set of baggage to carry:
>

> C) Import DES code (as we have done for MD4 and MD5) and build with that code
> when OpenSSLv3 is used.

I started work on an internal implementation of DES back in February, when I was fixing up some of the MD4 and MD5 code.

> I think I personally am in the C or D camp for the moment.

It’s still work in progress but so far I have:

* Moved the DES specific code from NTLM to the DES module
* Started writing unit tests for it
* Selected a version of DES that I believe will help us out

> D) Use another 3rd party DES lib (which?) when OpenSSLv3 is used.

I contemplated something similar as well and looked at using third-party crypto libraries, such as libcrypt, for MD4, MD5 and DES should an SSL backend not support these.

> Thoughts?

For my own personal gratification I would like to support C initially and an extended D.

Unfortunately I was rather busy with my client during March and April, racking up some hours again!

Hopefully I will get back onto curl stuff and get some contributions into the next release 😉

Kind Regards

Steve