Return code of server side scp command differs between curl and scp clients

From: Daniel Carpenter via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 16:19:32 +0000

Dear all,

Could anyone help me work out a difference in behaviour between using curl with an scp protocol vs /usr/bin/scp ? On the server, I have a small Python wrapper script which defers to an scp subprocess, using ForceCommand in my sshd config.

Using either curl or scp on the client copies the file successfully, the difference is that when I use curl, the server-side scp subprocess returns 1, whereas if I use scp client side, the server-side scp subprocess returns 0.

I had assumed that the server-side scp subprocess would only return a non-zero code to indicate an error, but I don't see any errors in the sshd log, nor does anything actually go wrong (the full file copies fine in both cases, and the client doesn't report any errors either). Does anyone know what the exit code indicates, and if there's a correct way for me to determine if there are errors with the server-side scp subprocess?

Here's a minimal working reproduction https://github.com/dansebcar/curl-scp

Thank you for your time,

Dan

[https://avatars1.githubusercontent.com/u/32105446?s=400&v=4]<https://github.com/dansebcar/curl-scp>

GitHub - dansebcar/curl-scp<https://github.com/dansebcar/curl-scp>
github.com
Contribute to dansebcar/curl-scp development by creating an account on GitHub.