Curl's network performance is slower than IDM.

From: Hongyi Zhao via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 12:59:37 +0800

Hi,

On Ubuntu 20.04, I tested the network performance with curl and IDM
(https://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/) running within wine for
comparison. The testings are based on the same file through the same
local socks5 proxy using the proxy dns method. For IDM, the
downloading is done with one connection/single-thread setting. See the
following for the results:

$ curl -L -x socks5h://127.0.0.1:10119
http://speedtest-ny.turnkeyinternet.net/1000mb.bin >/dev/null
  % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
                                 Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
 46 1024M 46 475M 0 0 9.7M 0 0:01:44 0:00:48 0:00:56 11.1M^C

The IDM gives around 16 ~ 20 MB/s speed. I'm confused on the above
results. Why IDM shows a higher network performance than curl? Are
there some bottlenecks/glitches/bugs in curl's network transfer
algorithms?

Regards,

--
Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao_at_gmail.com>