Re: Is it possible to have one binary support multiple versions of libssl?

From: Andreas Falkenhahn via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 12:38:27 +0200

On 30.07.2020 at 12:15 Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> AFAIR, they set their SONAMEs like that simply because they are *not* ABI
> compatible

Yes, that's what I was thinking as well but I'd expect ABI breaks to be more
visible in the versioning than 1.0.0 vs 1.0.2. From the versioning this doesn't
look like it is incompatible with 1.0.0 because it's just .2 instead of .0 but
you're right, I should probably ask the OpenSSL team about it...

> so the answer would be no. A binary build against OpenSSL can only
> be used with the same version of OpenSSL.

It would be possible to workaround this by manually detecting the OpenSSL
version and then using dlopen() and dlsym() to import the symbols instead
of having the linker do that. I think SDL does it that way to achieve a
maximum level of binary compatibility but I agree that this is probably
beyond the scope of curl :)

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                            mailto:andreas_at_falkenhahn.com