Re: time to remove Visual Studio project files?

From: Ray Satiro via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 02:11:29 -0400

On 9/6/2020 3:40 AM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Sep 2020, Ray Satiro via curl-library wrote:
>
>> I use the Visual Studio project files. I like that there's several
>> configurations that I can switch between.
>
> Isn't that just the equivalent of running different nmake command lines?
>
> Why not just save a few common build setups as pre-written command lines?
>
>> Changing the directory name will make it difficult for me to go back
>> and forth between commits.
>
> Yes true, but if we are to keep this build option I think we should
> make it more accessible to users (people who build libcurl) and one
> step could be to use a name that is more descriptive for what it is.

I mean different SSL backend configurations in one project. I use mainly
Windows SSPI (Schannel) and OpenSSL DLL configurations. For the most
part I don't have to regenerate the project files as I switch between
commits. Occasionally a new source file is added or I go far back enough
that it's necessary to do that otherwise the build will fail. The
directory is already accessible, I think projects/Windows is pretty apt.