Re: time to remove Visual Studio project files?

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 08:52:56 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 6 Sep 2020, RE lesgoe via curl-library wrote:

>> - nmake for building with visual studio (winbuild/)
>> - configure for msys/mingw style builds
>> - cmake for the rest
>> - (mingw makefiles for the adventureous, but they remain mostly undocumented)
>
> If there is going to be any sort of consolidation effort, it should be to
> solely maintain a set of CMakefiles.

That seems like a reasonable long term goal, yes. At this moment in time
however, I don't feel that we have the buy-in from all Visual Studio users to
add cmake as a build-time requirement.

Switching from project files to winbuild at least doesn't add any new
pre-requisites, making it a smaller and probably easier to make step for now.
I don't want to rock the boat too much in a single blow, but rather have a
transition.

> Now, that won't be possible at the moment with all the limitations
> of the existing CMake code.
> https://github.com/curl/curl/blob/master/docs/INSTALL.cmake#L21-L36

Right, but the winbuild and visual studio project files also have their set of
limitations and I'm not sure the cmake ones are "worse"...

--
  / daniel.haxx.se | Commercial curl support up to 24x7 is available!