Re: time to remove Visual Studio project files?

From: Geoff Beier via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2020 08:10:21 -0400

On Monday, September 7, 2020 2:52:56 AM EDT Daniel Stenberg via curl-library
wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Sep 2020, RE lesgoe via curl-library wrote:
> >> - nmake for building with visual studio (winbuild/)
> >> - configure for msys/mingw style builds
> >> - cmake for the rest
> >> - (mingw makefiles for the adventureous, but they remain mostly
> >> undocumented)>
> > If there is going to be any sort of consolidation effort, it should be to
> > solely maintain a set of CMakefiles.
>
> That seems like a reasonable long term goal, yes. At this moment in time
> however, I don't feel that we have the buy-in from all Visual Studio users
> to add cmake as a build-time requirement.

Hopefully that is changing. On my default installation of Visual Studio 2019
with the "Desktop development with C++" workload installed, cmake was included
by default.

When I cloned the curl project using git, launched Visual Studio, chose "Open
Folder" and navigated to my git clone of curl, Visual Studio saw the
CMakeLists.txt and automatically opened it and configured the project. Then
build *just worked*. I was able to select an appropriate target, set a
breakpoint, hit the breakpoint in the debugger, etc.

Obviously this was a very "default" build, and I can't speak to how easy or
hard it is to customize compared to the other build systems. But I was very
pleased with this workflow compared to the amount of effort this took just a
few years ago.

It was shocking how much easier things have gotten.

Finding out what features people want on the other build systems and can't yet
get from cmake, then adding them to the cmake files feels like a good idea to
me.

But I don't routinely work on Windows; I just fix up my projects to build
there every few months, and I do some testing and debugging there as needed.
So I have no idea how close my recent good experience with the cmake based
build is to reality for people who really develop on Windows as a primary
platform.

With that caveat about my perspective, for the way I use it, a good set of
cmake files would be the best possible thing on current Visual Studio.

Geoff