Failed sending data to the peer in 7.72.0

From: James Brown via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 11:03:27 -0700

After upgrading a test cluster from 7.71.1 to 7.72.0, we're now seeing
around 0.1% of POSTs from one (and only one) of our applications fail with
"Failed sending data to the peer" (CURLE_SEND_ERROR) and no other error.
Based on logs, the request actually succeeds, but libcurl is returning this
error. This application is using the Ruby Typhoeus wrapper and is itself
unchanged. The relevant connections are all HTTP/1.1 connections to hosts
on the local network, and the POSTs are all very small (<1KB) with nothing
interesting about them.

I haven't had any luck tracking this down since it's such a low fraction of
requests and is only affecting one of our several hundred applications, but
it reproducibly happens with 7.72 and not with 7.71.1.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to try to track down the regression? I
looked at the diff between 7.71.1 and 7.72.0 and no lines containing the
string "CURLE_SEND_ERROR" were touched, which is unfortunate.

--
James Brown
Engineer