Pipelining in HTTP 1.1

From: Dorit Mari via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 17:46:40 +0000

Hello,

I know that support for pipelining in HTTP 1.1 was removed (https://github.com/curl/curl/commit/2f44e94efb3df8e50bb2ddbc4ec6b569a6424517).
In our application, we need to use pipelining in HTTP 1.1, so we are trying to restore and fix the pipelining support in libcurl.
In the commit that removed pipelining, it's written below that "pipelining code had a few rather nasty known issues". Does anyone know what were these issues, and what part of the code caused them?
Currently, we "patched" the old pipelining code on a recent libcurl version. Under low load it works OK, but under high load with TLS (e.g. 300 HTTP requests per second) we encounter problems; requests time out, and afterwards libcurl keeps opening and closing connections repeatedly, for no clear reason. Is this one of the known problems that led to removing the pipelining code?

Thanks,
Dorit

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential material. They are intended solely for the use of the designated individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, use, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

If you have received this email in error please immediately notify the sender and delete or destroy any copy of this message