Performance issue with libcurl 7.73

From: Jeffrey McKay via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 16:57:15 -0700

Hello,

I maintain a Windows application (written in VC 2017) that basically
uploads thousands of email
messages into Microsoft Exchange/Ofice 365, via their EWS protocol. I
have been successfully using
libcurl 7.64 for a while.

Recently we did have some problem with logging in to some servers, and
I determined that the issue
could be fixed by updating to libcurl 7.71 (not sure why). However I
ran into some other problem
with this version, where for some reason after several thousand
messages, libcurl seemed to be
returning null data in response to a GET. However I am *not* asking
about that problem in this
message.

The above problem went away when I switched to libcurl 7.73. However,
this version has its own
problem, a serious performance issue, where large chunks of data seem
to be taking 1 second to
upload, vs a fraction of a second seen with the previous version.

Take a look at the attached two log files, slow_upload.txt and
fast_upload.txt. These are
logs of the debug function after I do a POST. In the slow version,
each 64k chunk of data
is taking approximately 1 second. In the fast version, each chunk is a
fraction of a second or
not even measurable. These results are consistent when doing multiple
tests at different times
of the day. I don't think it is related to EWS server variability.

Keep in mind that the exact same main program binary executable code
is running in each test, only
the libcurl.dll has been changed.

Any idea what could be causing this? I've also included some of my
code that performs the POST
operation (cleaned up of a lot of extraneous stuff). Hopefully there
is some curl option that
I can set or change that fixes this.

Thanks for your help.