Re: localhost to be truly local?

From: Niall O'Reilly via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 17:47:04 +0100

FWIW, and with the caveat that I am not a **real** DNS expert.

On 10 May 2021, at 14:52, Daniel Stenberg via curl-library wrote:

> I've created PR #7039 that makes "localhost" resolve to 127.0.0.1 and
> ::1 without using the resolver [1].
>
> The point of this is to make sure localhost is the local host for
> sure.

I think it makes sense to move [[RFC6761][]] compliance inside the
application.

> curl's --resolve option and its libcurl counterpart still allows a
> user to make localhost URL's connect to another IP address, just like
> for any other name.

Compliance with [[RFC6761]] should surely have priority over
consistency. 8-)

> Your feedback and thoughts on this are most welcome!

€0,02
/Niall

[RFC6761]: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6761#section-6.3