curl-users

Re: curl and tickets

From: Marco G. Salvagno <mgs_at_whiz.cjb.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 00:59:58 +0200

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> Ticket is not a universally known term AFAIK. I have no idea either. I looks
> as if they mean cookies.

I've discovered what he meant: by the name "tickets" he was referring to
that kind of user authentication which provides the user with a
dinamically generated, time-bombed URL to retrieve a protected document.

I don't know if there's an "industry" name for that kind of
"technology".

> > Problem is: if I am using wget etc., then it generates _very long_ name
> > (=URL).
> Now, in what way is wget's naming involved in this problem?

The problem is that both curl and wget saves the document using the URL
name (i.e. something like somekind.cgi?awfully_long_list=parameters),
while netscape was able to figure out the real name of the file.

I suggested him to use the -o switch to sneak behind the problem, and
that closed the case :)