curl-users

Re: New CURL platform...?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 11:52:34 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 Nico.Baggus_at_mail.ing.nl wrote:

> Basicly I have a curl for VMS, without SSL.

Cool indeed! Nice work!

> These are much less problems than I had about a year ago when I tried
> before.

Ah, then we're at least developing in the right direction...

> Now were can there be more pitfalls?
> Where do I have to look for trouble about:
> Filenames

You seem to have found those.

> very unixlike features..
> (filename globbing/enumeration)

Possibly other socket/network-related stuff. I wouldn't know, since I'm
clueless when it comes to VMS.

The filename globbing/enumeration stuff is curl client code that is basic C
code, shouldn't make any difference on VMS.

> forking()

No code in curl/libcurl forks, that's just in the test suite perl code.

> I can find these things ofcourse but I'm quite busy and this clearly is
> an aside that maybe can become usefull.

Oh certainly. The more platforms we have curl running on, the more useful it
gets.

> The testing tool is useless as there is no fork() concept on VMS, I
> tried to rebuild the testbed, but failed.

Right. We should probably try to hack it into not using forks, or possibly
have that as an option.

> basic FTP: & HTTP: seem to work.

Then the network and basic must be doing fine.

> telnet starts but just hangs waiting for input.

Does VMS have a problem with mixed socket and file handles in the select()?

> I have no other server available to test against.

Well, getting the basics working is a good first step and we could get your
changes into the main sources and then work on the possibly still outstanding
issues.

--
     Daniel Stenberg -- curl dude -- http://curl.haxx.se/