curl-users

Re: curl and size of binary

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:08:36 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Detlef Schmier - Sun Microsystems GmbH wrote:

> do you know, if I can reduce the size of curl if I only want to use http,
> may be via a proxy? A current binary on Solaris (build with a static curl
> library) is 200K. And that's only to get a webpage. I took the example
> which uses the EASY interface. May be, if I take something more native,
> this will reduce the binaries size.

Unfortunately, there isn't any support for that. The TODO list includes an
item that speaks about adding configure options that would allow us to
customize the library better, to disable one or more of the protocols we
won't need/want.

Time is and has been scarce though, so I have not been able to add those
options and today the only things that makes the library smaller are: don't
use SSL and don't use kerberos.

I'd appriciate patches that allow compiler defines to disable protocols...

The easy interface is the only interface libcurl offers. Once upon the time
there were plans to offer a more low level interface, but those plans have
since been scrapped.

--
     Daniel Stenberg -- curl dude -- http://curl.haxx.se/