curl-users

Re: -F for building forms

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:40:15 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Cris Bailiff wrote:

> I didn't read the RFC yet, but I assume that if you really want a form
> field name with an illegal character in it (like '='), you must
> url-escape it before presenting it to the HTTP server.

No I don't think we do. This is RFC 1867 and 2388 territory, and that is more
MIME than regular HTTP. So, the restrictions are set by the
"Content-Disposition" header as defined by RFC 2183 and 2184. I've read these
ones but I can't find anything that mentions '=' as an invalid character in
the name field.

> The issue, then, is whether curl is responsible for URL escaping form
> field names and contents for the user, and whether it should do both name
> and value, or just one or neither...

Hm, yes, I believe you're right! Since "URL encoding" (% followed by two
hexadecimals) is actually supposed to be supported in these headers, I figure
the proper way to support this would be to use the %3d way, and it should
work already today.

Wow. So let's just forget my question then! ;-)

> I don't know whether this propogates into libcurl, or is entirely curls'
> problem...

This is a curl "problem" (or rather non-problem if the facts stated here are
correct!), libcurl just passes on the supplied data.

Thanks Cris for reading, understanding and providing answers!