curl-users

Re: A curl package naming standard?

From: Troy Engel <tengel_at_sonic.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 09:48:44 -0700

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 09:55:58AM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> With the increasing amount of curl packages everywhere, I would like to see a
> naming standard in how to name curl archives. I need your input. Am I on the
> right track or am I lost in the desert?

Unfortunately it's not quite that easy in the RPM world -- there are accepted standards from which you can deviate *some*, but beyond a certain point curl looks like a sore thumb sticking out.

> The precompiled linux RPM package for redhat 7.1 i386 without SSL:
> curl-7.9-linux-rh71.i386.rpm
>
> The precompiled linux RPM package for redhat 6.2 i386 without SSL:
> curl-7.9-linux-rh62.i386.rpm

The difficulty here is that the RPM naming scheme is determined as:

  curl-1.0-1.i386.rpm
  curl-ssl-devel-1.1.1-7rh6.i686.rpm
  curl-5.4-3openssl095b.src.rpm

As you can see, the only place where "creativity" is usually used is in the <release> field. Typically this is where you see the "-1rh62" and stuff like I used, taking my cues from major packagers like Ryan Weaver (falsehope.com) and Matthias Saou (freshrpms.net). There doesn't exist much to handle "linux" or "PPC" or "mandrake" within the naming convention (although mandrake uses "-1mdk" in the release field to solve that particular problem).

I am loathe to change the current naming convention, only because it would break compatibility with the rest of the world's naming style. I'm not a Debian expert, but I'm sure they have similar guidelines...

writing from the isp shell on my non-line wrapping vi,
-te

--
Troy Engel
GPG KeyID: DF3D5207