curl-users

RE: Curl and HTTP/1.0

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 16:36:38 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Roth, Kevin P. wrote:

> > Yes. We should add the ability to specify which HTTP version to
> > use in requests. Any volounteer?
>
> Not volunteering. However, if you add this feature, will you also somehow
> disable all http/1.1 features (chunked-encoding?, keep-alive?) when
> http/1.0 is requested? Or will you simply change the request to specify
> "1.0" instead of "1.1"?

Actually, they'll adjust fairly good automatically! The chunked-decoding is
only done when the server says it sends that (which a 1.0-server won't do)
and the keep-alive is never explicitly turned on by curl as HTTP 1.1 defines
keep-alive to be switched on by default. Thus, when the server return saying
it speaks 1.0, we default to no keep-alive.

The drawback of this approach will be that the 1.0 requests won't
automatically use persistant connections. I don't think that is a big loss.