curl-users

Re: -L problem?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 10:20:50 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Paul Harrington wrote:

> Yes I think that works. Using curl 7.9.1-pre5 and -L I get a message:
>
> * Connection (#0) left alive
> curl: (52) Empty reply from server

Yes, that's a new "thing" in 7.9.1. Not getting anything back from a HTTP
server is now considered an error.

> Adding the -0 looks to work.

Ok, so at least you have a work-around now.

> Doing some testing using "openssl s_client" it seems that if I send:
>
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> .9.6b)
> Host: orkney.rhl:9004
> Pragma: no-cache
> Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, */*
>
> I get the 302 message but the server closes the connection - could it be
> possible that curl is not noticing this?

Good idea.

Yes, I guess it can very well be that. Curl is using a socket-layer logic to
check if the socket is still alive (before re-using it), but I guess that the
OpenSSL layer can confuse it.

To figure that out, it would be *really* helpful if you tried to apply the
attached patch and retried. Using -i will then provide us with an extra line
of debug info.