curl-users

RE: Redirecting stdout in Win32

From: Derek Goring <d.goring_at_niwa.cri.nz>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 08:33:36 +1200

Thank you Kevin.

Your solution of --stderr - to direct stderr to stdout, then > test.log
to direct all screen output to a log file works. And in the logfile I
get both the curl command and the error of that command. Just
what I wanted!!

In summary, here is my command line:

curl
ftp://user:passwd@192.168.11.1/host/sub/directory/{20020531,2002
0601}.dbf -o remote/sub/directory/#1.dbf --std - > 20020601.log

I see the --stderr - option is actually in the manual. I read it, but
didn't understand what it meant.

Derek

On 6 Jun 2002, at 7:48, Roth, Kevin P. wrote:

> Agree with Daniel - using "> myoutput.log" should work fine. Having
> said that, I've just tested it on WinXP using the cygwin version,
> obviously not the same environment you're in.
>
> If you want all the output in the same file, you might try using
> "--stderr -" (to send the stderr output into the same pipe as stdout),
> and then use either "-o filename" or "> filename" to get all output
> (errors and stdout) into the same file.
>
> You might also try to find a copy of "tee.exe", to save the output to
> a file, and ALSO display it to the screen. Cygwin (http://cygwin.com/)
> has this tool built-in, and I find it quite handy.
>
> --Kevin

Derek Goring
Principal Scientist
Coastal Hydrodynamics
National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research
NIWA
P O Box 8602
Christchurch
New Zealand