curl-users

Re: Verifying Server

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 12:12:12 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, William E. T. wrote:

> What I want to do is get a page VIA SSL, but I want to verify the
> certificate.

You mean you want curl to verify your peer's certificate, right? Many servers
want a client certificate too to verify you.

> I have no clue how to do this. I've seen functinos that mention a pem
> file,

PEM is a file format for certificates.

> but haven't found a good way to get it (though I've seen them through
> openSSL, under windows I can't pipe, and my dhcp server is liking my linux
> instalation for some reason (liked it yesterday just fine).. IS there
> anyway I can athenticate the certificate against the certificates
> authoirity?

If "the certificate" means the peer's certiciate, then --cacert or --capath
are your friends.

You need a CA certificate (bundle) though to verify the peer against.