curl-users

ca-bundle.crt and `make install prefix=...`

From: Roth, Kevin P. <KPRoth_at_MarathonOil.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 13:21:17 -0400

Two more problems with ca-bundle.crt (I'm sure you're lovin' it by now, Daniel ;-)

1. I do my curl builds in a subdirectory. Looks like this:

 $ tar xjf curl-7.10.tar.bz2
 $ mkdir curl-7.10/build
 $ cd curl-7.10/build
 $ ../configure --prefix=/usr
 $ make install

The problem is in the install part - it's looking for the file 'lib/ca-bundle.crt', which is not found, because it's actually at '../lib/ca-bundle.crt'.

My temporary fix for this was to copy the file by hand into the correct location...

2. When building my cygwin binary packages, I do a `make install prefix=BLAH`, where BLAH is a temporary directory located at $(buildtop)/packages/Win32/cygwin/tmp_cygbuild. Note that I'm specifying a non-standard install prefix at MAKE time rather than at CONFIGURE time...

When it installs ca-bundle.crt, instead of installing into the temp prefix, it installs to the one I specified at configure time (/usr/share/curl/curl-ca-bundle.crt).

I could just specify my temp prefix at configure time, but since this used to work as I'm describing, could it be made to work again at some point?

Neither of these is urgent (as far as I'm concerned anyways), but if they could be addressed before the next release it'd be great.

If I can be of any assistance in testing a change, let me know. I just don't understand autoconf well enough to fix this problem.

Thanks,
~ Kevin